We all flip through the latest home magazine or scroll through Pinterest thinking, "how do they get their home to look like that?!".
You would be surprised to know that you can achieve a similar look and feel without hiring a designer and breaking the bank. The secret is adding character, which means adding a bit of YOU! Here are our top 5 suggestions for helping your home feel a bit more cozy:
- SHOP YOUR SPACE! Before you run to the store to buy all new things, go up to the attic, check your hand-me-downs, and gather up all of your favorite family heirlooms. These are the items that will add warmth and a characteristic that no other home will have. Do you have Grandma’s quilt stashed in the linen closet? Perfect! Take it down and drape it over a bench or put it on display!
- Shop Thrift Stores and Yard Sales Shop around at local yard sales, thrift stores, or Goodwill! You will be surprised at the pieces you find that will perfectly fill that space that needed a bit of love. Pieces that look a little worn give you more texture. You may even find something completely out of the ordinary, like the end table pictured below.
- Mix Old With New This goes hand in hand with 1 and 2. If you find something old at a yard sale or something given to you by a family member, pair it with a new pillow or chair that you have had your eye on! This layering technique adds instant character and you can’t go wrong! Below you will see an antique natural wood table paired with contemporary windsor chairs, antique candle holders, and new dinnerware.
- Window Treatments Adding curtains to any space instantly adds warmth, softness, and that oh-so-cozy feel you have been dreaming of. Make sure to hang your curtains higher than the window frame to add height to your space.
- Live first and take your time! The best way to add character to your home is to wait and see how you use your space. Make each corner functional and stylish!
Let us know if you have any more tips and tricks to make your home more cozy!